Disrupting Wetiko, combating evil in the decentralized world with Paul Levy.
Weigh in on your sentiment while watching at divvy_debate.consider.it
- Date: Monday 8/15/16 10pm EDT, 7pm PST (google calendar)
- Location: https://zoom.us/j/6853551826 or view on youtube live
- Organizer jimscarver 300Δ
- Moderator: Patrick 300Δ
- Secretary: ? 200Δ
- Media producer: ? 300Δ
- Panelists: (see below) 100Δ each who register at divvy
Where we find consensus we can collaborate in order to cooperate more effectively. This experimental Divvy Debate seeks to identify where consensus is possible to create a less destructive society and identify the tensions inhibiting positive change.
- First we explore the roots of how we are led to behaviors that ultimately are not in our personal or mutual interest by emergent entities having the characteristics of spirit, Wetiko.
- Then we consider combating Wetiko with self enlightenment, productive mind game memetics,
- and how decentralized technology combates Wetiko (briefly).
Format: An ideal group size of about 4.5 panelists suggesting possible consensus in broadcast audio/video zoom room with wisdom of the crowd feedback in divvy_debate.consider.it 1/2 hour to 1,5 hour. we finish when we finish, the requirement for panelists is to be there at least 1/2 hour.
Dispelling Wetiko by Paul Levy– “There is a contagious psychospiritual disease of the soul, a parasite of the mind, that is currently being acted out en masse on the world stage via a collective psychosis of titanic proportions. This mind-virus—which Native Americans have called “wetiko”—covertly operates through the unconscious blind spots in the human psyche, rendering people oblivious to their own madness and compelling them to act against their own best interests.“ Read More
Consider.it issues (proposals)
- The native american notion of Wetiko, the evil spirit, is a reasonable model of the ills of society
- Mind Parasites of Colin Wilson, Wetiko and Archonic are a Reality
- Wetiko can both save or destroy humanity
- Information is physical, mind, spirit and matter are of the same substance
- Our universe can be considered an information ecology having a memetic nature.
- Self enlightenment or awakening from our dream of reality alone can defeat Wetiko
- Could Wetiko be harnessed and exploited just as we have harnessed and exploited animals?
- Can large scale synchronizing events act as catalysts for steering the Wetiko in directions more in line with our benefit and goals as opposed to the mere consumption of our mental resources by the Wetiko?
- Decentralized technology frees humanity to combat evil grassroots
- Disintermediated media can free us from being controlled by media giants.
- Alternative currencies and mutual credit technology enables can free us from the evils of monetary power
- Global open marketplace technology can free us from wage slavery
To be done (process doc)
- Select relevant tension of ideas limiting science and society.
- Volunteer or propose filling organizer, moderator, media producer and secretary roles.
- Create document for debate current status to collect budget, positions etc.
- Authorize Δ budget.
- Enumerate the perspectives and advocates/panelists.
- Paul Levy, mind viruses are fact and we can learn to be awakened to them
- Jim Whitecarver, information is physical
- Michael Marinovic – domain independent language (logic) can build consensus
- Adam Alonzi, other
- Stephen Paul King, Wetiko may be an example of the activity of works like natural versions of AI in distributed and variable networks. Networks can be made of meat.
- Patrick, other
- Collect short (about a paragraph) position papers on each perspective and link above.
- Add tensions in consider.it
- Decide format and timing. e.g. time for each position introduction. Moderator is responsible for presenting positions not represented by panelists.
- Schedule debate (sync or async),
- Promote, slacks, facebook, twitter, divvydao.org blog
- Execute. https://obsproject.com/ for live streaming on youtube. Divvy live URL
- edit , post, and promote video/consider.it on slacks, facebook, twitter, divvydao.org blog
- Great show, can be used as example to help grow communtyIn adequate promotion
- Zoom should be in speaker view mode, not gallery view (except when person speaking has no cam). 1st ½ all in gallery view 🙁
- Planned 5 min position intro and 2 min rebuttal which worked reasonably with some flexibility. The guest speaker was given a lot of leeway. Patrick ran clock and put warnings in chat. Sometimes a bell sounded which reduced the need to interrupt speakers. An alternate is to cut people
- A great question was put in this doc and copied to the chat but not addressed. A suggested reference to the four agreements was not addressed but good for future collaboratory debate and adopted potentially to be promoted Divvy memeplex..
- Roles need to be better defined.
- Roles need to filled well before the debate. A debate should not proceed without a critical mass of support. Many hands make lite work. One person cannot reasonably fill most of the roles and get anything else done planning, executing and evaluating.
- The debate was advertized to address how decentralization can which did not get introduced until near the end and panelists did not engage, but continued discussion of prior themes. Time limits on each theme need to be enforced somehow it the planned material is to be covered. We can continue the debate if there is a critical mass of support.
- Topic added to this doc could not be addressed as well as comments below.
- The youtube stream was left running overnight posting a 9 hour video of my screen that needs to be trimmed.
- The theme of developing a language for change was embraced by many.
- Improve process doc.
- Experiment with improvements based on evaluation.
- Compare above to process doc adding what is generally applicable.
Neil Postman wrote Amusing ourselves to death and Technopoly. These books elaborate on the issue of technology and humanity coming together. Technology relies on a different language entirely than humans do. The reliance on technology has created a gap in meaning between groups of people on how to communicate about shared problems. The ability to plan is based on agreements in meaning leading to agreements in plans. Therefore the ability to create consensus is determined by agreements in meanings before it can manifest. This also applies at a psychological level when attempting to face inner aspects of the self, seldom described in words except in mythological and spiritual ways.
A common issue with consensus is agreeing on meanings and sets of meanings. So the ability to develop heuristics and plans goes a long way to how people agree. Agreement is really all about concurrent meanings occurring for the same purpose. The ability for a large group of people to experience an event concurrently lets them share the meaning of the event. So this discusses how information jumbles the ability to reach consensus. Information is not occurring the same way or at the same time for everyone. So it ultimately rests in the case of giving everyone the same information or changing authority levels of people who have the right information against those who do not. Wetiko embodies this idea of how people are attracted to belief systems based on experiences leading to a bad outcome. The ability to have awareness is essential to overcoming these aggregate effects. The only way to give a systemic method of awareness relies primarily on visual languages and planning to learn how to use these symbols in a specific way. But there are more tools available than that in 2016. Most of these tools are decentralized and highly effective at causing group momentum towards specific enterprises.
Some tools include planning theories and heuristics. But some common tools involve DAGs and Petri nets to visualize complex systems THese are described as ways to model how agreement is an ecological mechanism of referential temporospatial systems. So the ability to construct a language that is domain independent is key to creating a temporospatial system. And the ability to reference manifolds rather than the particular instances is the process this language enables. michael